Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Time management and the proverbial three busses

As many of you know, I have spent the last couple of months getting paid to do nothing more than roll into uni once a week, and write an essay. Of course, I didn't give the essay a second glance during that whole period, preferring to sit around on my lazy arse writing music and playing poker. It suddenly occurred to me towards the end of last week (my last week off before starting a full-time placement), that the essay has to be in very shortly after the Easter break.

Of course this wouldn't be a problem, if it weren't for the fact that next Thursday I am flying to Egypt for a fortnight, returning home just four days before the essay is due in. Now this wouldn't necessarily be a problem either, after all, four days is plenty of time to write an essay. However, the weekend following my return is already triple-booked with essentials, namely my football team's end of season meal, my Nephew's third birthday, and not to mention the return of Will Skinner to the UK after nearly two years in the wilderness (well, Sydney).

So, I am left in the ridiculous position where I am somehow going to have to write a completely uninspiring 3000 word essay in the next week before I go, at the same time as working full-time shifts. I'm actually going to have to work for my money! I'm sure many of you will be pleased to hear that the slightly smug grin that I've been unable to hide for the last couple of months has been well and truly wiped from my face. I'm sure it will return when I arrive in Cairo next week, or perhaps in June when I start my eight-week paid summer holiday. Mwaaa haaa.

On a more serious note, I have decided that the beard is going to have to go. Not because I'm concerned about my dive mask leaking in the Red Sea, nor has it become unbearably itchy. No, it's far more significant than that. Earlier this evening an incident occurred that I had always dreaded. I was walking into my middle room after dinner and glanced in the mirror, only to discover that a surprisingly large piece of lettuce, complete with dressing, was hanging from the side of my chin. I have put the razor on charge and will attack it in the morning...

8 Comments:

At 10:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy I've seen all kinds of food hanging from your chin on numerous occasions, with and without your beard.

 
At 1:07 pm, Blogger Me said...

Let me see if I've got this straight. You looked in the mirror and saw that beard and a piece of lettuce. You then actually thought you'd better shave the beard off because of the piece of lettuce rather than thinking you'd better shave the beard off because of the beard?

 
At 3:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would've cut the whole head off...

 
At 7:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since when did cleanliness become high on your list of priorities? :)

 
At 9:33 pm, Blogger Andy said...

Yes Mike, that's right. You see, I had always feared that the day would come when I would get bits of food stuck in my beard. Far from being a 'bit of food' this piece of lettuce was at least an inch long, and easily noticable in a dimly lit room from 6 yards (as I was about 3 yards from the mirror).

It made me wonder two things...Firstly, how long would that piece of lettuce have remained there if I had not looked in the mirror? Secondly, has this ever happened before without my knowledge, perhaps in a public place?

The beard alone is not a good enough reason to shave off the beard. In fact, it will be a sad moment.

As for the Baxters...Just shut it!

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Secondly, has this ever happened before without my knowledge, perhaps in a public place?

Yes, on more than one occasion.

Enjoy the essay and full time work combo.......and I am damn glad I dont get to see that 8 week smug summer grin. I am sure Sam, Em, Chris etc are well looking forward to that.

 
At 8:10 pm, Blogger alibloke said...

Come to think of it you did have an Eccles cake clinging to your neck for most of January. I just thought it was part of the new look.....you know?..........

 
At 1:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a africa europe travel agents
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home