Sunday, March 12, 2006

Nine days until British summertime...


...and it's fucking freezing.

The panorama was three photos taken this-morning from my bathroom window. Thankfully the snow has now melted everywhere except the tops of the hills (like Ashton court on the right).

If you bring the photo up in it's own window, slap-bang in the middle you can just about make out the row of trees that form the backdrop to the header of this blog. In front of them to the right is the Winterstoke Road Sainsbury's (which also just about makes it onto the blog header). I mention this because since I started the blog, I have thought that I should choose a different picture for my blog header that better represents Bedminster. Anyone who's ever been here will know that a row of trees in the mist at sunset with rolling hills in the background doesn't paint a true picture of what Bedminster is really like.

In truth it's a heavily populated area with row after row of terraced housing, a complex maze of roads that can only be navigated in one direction at a time, and a very odd mix of Bristolian working class families and young professional couples.

So that got me thinking about what would be the one photo that would best sum up the suburb?

Bedminster parade would be an obvious choice, although every time I go there I am still astounded by the amount of tracksuits and cheap gold jewellery on display from the locals. When I was younger, I would probably have considered that to be a fair representation of Bedminster (back when my Sister and I used the term 'bemmer' to mean the modern day equivalent of 'chav'). But nowadays (well, since I moved here), I like to think that Bedminster has moved on and become a bit more of a fashionable place to be...

Perhaps a photo of North Street would make a better blog header, with what is quickly turning into a long row of cafe's, trendy bars and restaurants.

Any other suggestions?

9 Comments:

At 8:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, you made a mistake in your entry I noticed. You mention that the photo was taken in the morning - we all know you don't do mornings - admit it, it was about 2 in the afternoon!

 
At 11:55 am, Blogger Andy said...

I'll have you know I've been up at 10am all weekend - mind you England were playing cricket in India!

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger Me said...

Nice panorama, Andy... can't even see the join.

I like the mysterious misty tree-lined photo, even if it isn't a true representation of Bedminster. If you took a photo of the buildings it'd just look like a still from the opening credits of Coronation Street.

That's my two-pennorth.

 
At 5:30 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Nice post Andy. Glad to see the weather over there is rubbish.

There can be only one picture.

The Tobacco Factory.

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Andy said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure how I'd photograph my middle room to fit it into the title bar of my blog, but maybe I'll write an entry about it at some point instead!

I could have a go with the baccy factory though...And if that doesn't work it's nice to know the row of trees has a fan as well.

 
At 1:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about a picture of the slug I trod on in your living room at the weekend? In my bare feet you minger.

 
At 4:11 pm, Blogger Andy said...

Yeah cheers for that Baxter we've been looking for that damn slug for ages.

It is still stuck to the wall outside so I suppose I could take a photo, but then I don't suppose a dead shrivelled up slug really represents Bedminster very well either...

 
At 9:28 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Nah......bet that was well funny though. So you have slugs now? At least you donĀ“t have flies coming out of beer bottles, like you did in Clifton.

 
At 12:47 pm, Blogger Andy said...

Yes Mike a lovely picture of Bedminster parade, complete with Peacocks and cash converters. The only thing missing is the cityline bus that bombs it down the middle every ten minutes, just when you're lulled into believing that you're in a pedestrianised area...

Unfortunately I didn't manage to capture the moment that Sam killed our illusive slug on film. However, I had warned him about it the night before, and he was literally in mid sentence the following morning explaining that he hadn't seen the slug when it appeared, squashed between his toes! Baxter clearly knows that the secret of all good comedy is timing.

By the way, our living room slug trails have now completely vanished. Thanks again Sam!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home