Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dodgy email?



Has anyone heard of this company? I certainly haven't but I've just had two identical emails from them. There's a link to 'learn more' in the top right corner, but it isn't actually a link.

I particularly like the note at the bottom, which first attempts to lure the reader into logging on by threatening to close the account in 72 hours (even though it doesn't exist), and then has the gall to suggest that they are attempting to 'combat fraud in our community'.

I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that some of the information they will ask me to confirm will include my bank account details, credit cards, mother's maiden name etc. I'm too paranoid to actually click on the link to find out though in case it chucks some sort of virus or spyware onto my system, presuming it hasn't already. Any thoughts? (A question particularly aimed at my more geeky computer type mates;)

Of course, there's a chance it might be legitimate. Perhaps I do have two bank accounts that I've never heard of before. Maybe they've got some money in them...

4 Comments:

At 10:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chase bank does exist - they are pretty massive in the US. www.chase.com.

As for the email - blatent 'phising' attempt..just delete em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phising

 
At 12:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeere And, like rich says its a scam. Similar to this one:

http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/report/1207

 
At 8:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Andrew

I, as an official of JP Morgan Chase & Co. would like to confirm that the email you mention is not a "scam" but that you actually have an account with us which holds 2,000,000 USD.

Please follow the links and supply details to access any of your UK Bank Accounts so that we can botty f*ck you.

Yours

Mr Ayeam Acunt

 
At 9:19 pm, Blogger Andy said...

$2,000,000?

Wooo Hooooo!!!

Can you send a cheque Mr Acunt?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home