Wednesday, April 25, 2007

BCFA Shield Final

By some miracle, or perhaps divine intervention, Hope FC have made it through to the final of the Bristol Churches F.A. Shield Final. This prestigious event will take place at Little Stoke Park, this Saturday morning. We're expecting a moderate crowd.

I should explain at this point that the BCFA Shield is a bit like the EUFA cup, in that it's competed by teams who got knocked out of a bigger competition (in this case the BCFA Cup) in the first round. I'm sure there are some other similarities too, but none come to mind right now.

Preparation for the final has been abysmal. Firstly we drove all the way to Radstock last Tuesday night to lose 6-1 to a bunch of whipper snappers, who clearly weren't old enough to drink. Saturday's game was cancelled as we only had 9 players available, which did at least mean I could get hammered at Breakout on Friday night. Finally, earlier this-evening we made the trek to Bath Uni to lose 3-2 in the rain to one of the two teams who are actually below us in the BCFA second division.

Neil's favoured number 10 shirt had been claimed so he donned Jonny's prized number 2 kit. At the end of the demoralising game he suggested that we all chip in to fly Jonny and Mike over for Saturday's final. Much as we could do with the help of the man with no fear (nutter), who sticks his head where others wouldn't stick their feet (and ended up with a fractured skull); and the workhorse, the engine, the midfield general (the list goes on), we're gonna have to win it for them instead.

The route to the final has been completely blagged. Firstly we lost 3-0 to Pip'n'Jay Church in the 1st round of the BCFA cup, which won us qualification to the shield. Then, in the first round proper we were drawn against the worst team in the two BCFA divisions, who turned up with ten men including their long retired manager. We stuffed them 10-1.

We then received a bye through the quarterfinal when our bitter rivals Santos couldn't get a team together. So, after one victory (and one defeat) we found ourselves in the semi-final against one of the top first division teams, who we miraculously beat 5-4 on penalties after perhaps the luckiest 120 minutes of football I have ever witnessed. Our keeper, who is known for his howlers (and was largely responsible for all three goals that we conceded tonight), was man of the match, and I remember him saving at least a couple with his arse.

So anyway, we made it. This will be my first final, in fact my first chance of winning anything, ever... Do come!

7 Comments:

At 7:52 am, Blogger Jonny said...

That, Andy, is a blog of genius.

I'm sat here on the sofa with my parents and I thought I'd log on and check your blog. As soon as it opened I shouted "Bastard" very loudly, very much to everyones surprise. Seeing someone else wearing the famous number 2 kit(which I thought had been retired to the kit bag along with my shinpads and muddy football boots) was a shock to the system! Even if it is Neil. What a funny picture.

It's nice to know that I'm still missed - along with Mike Viera. Also great pictures via the links.

The semi-final sounds like a fantastic game. Who was it you beat?

And who now wears number 10? I assume Neil now wears number 2?

And, most importantly, GOOD LUCK in the final mate. I want a full report please. If I had the cash I'd fly home for it.....

Happy Days!

 
At 11:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny you should mention the pictures. I had planned to include pics of Vinnie Jones and Patrick Viera instead of you and Mike, but there didn't seem to be any decent ones.

It was Bristol Sanctuary XI who we beat in the semi. They're currently top of the 1st division with a game in hand. We actually got an equaliser in the last minute of the game when their centre-back sliced a clearance into his own net under no pressure whatsoever. How we laughed.

Nathan wore number 10 yesterday but Neil still claims it normally. Your number 2 kit is usually left in the bag in your honour.

No doubt I will provide a final report, along with the Bristol Evening Post, incidentally!

 
At 11:35 am, Blogger quinby said...

This is the first time I have left a comment.

I only just registered to clear the air on bringing out the number 2 kit.

Just to clarify, I only put the number 2 kit on as I arrived too late to claim my number 10. THE NUMBER I HAVE BEEN WARING FOR 12 SEASONS.
So I thought it appropriate to get a picture of this special occasion. It was going to be tough to try and pull out a cracking performance that this number is used to.
The only other thing this kit is used to is having someone get injured, so I pulled a muscle after 10 minutes, Bugger.
I may now miss the final on Saturday.

Rest assured I will never wear that number again.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Thanks for posting Neil, and nice to get a little insight into the legendary kit. To be honest, I'm very surprised that it is still left in the kitbag in my honour. I'm touched. I'm pretty sure the boots must still be there as no-one else has feet quite as big as mine. Are they?

As for the injury, it comes with the territory I'm afraid. I find that playing through the pain and thus making yourself susceptible for future injury is the way forward.

Hope all is going great with Ben.

By the way, WTF is Nathan?

 
At 6:29 pm, Blogger LB said...

that's the sort of cup run which guarantees you a Final win. You just know it.

 
At 8:27 am, Blogger Me said...

Great stuff, Andy. Sorry I couldn't make it back, but it would've been my first game of football for about 4 years (since my brief comeback before my knee went a second time) so I think my nickname would've changed from 'engine' to 'lethargic snail'.

I'm about to read the final report, but I fear it may be bad news...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home