Friday, August 11, 2006

Bristol Balloon Fiesta Nightglow



Apart from the fact that we seemed to be sitting behind a member of the KKK, this year's nightglow was very much the same as it is every year.

They had replaced James Blunt's "You're beautiful" with Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy", but apart from that I think the backing tape was exactly the same as last year's.

The low moon added to the glow.


Jonny's favourite balloon made an appearance, although slightly hidden by a tree.


Yet again the balloons flickered completely randomly for half an hour or so, with no apparent synchronicity to the music that was being played.


If I'm honest though, I never bore of it. It's spectacular stuff, despite the apparent lack of co-ordination. Em and Chris were there for the first time, and seemed to be suitably impressed.



As the music came to an end, the balloons quickly deflated (apart from one - the main sponsor), and the fireworks began.




Traditionally, Jonny would always ensure that we got to 'the hill' by about 5pm, giving us a five-hour wait but ensuring a prime spot. This year, the three of us arrived at about 9.30pm just as the balloons were being inflated, and managed to sit in exactly the same place.

We did however follow the other tradition of waiting around on the hill for the crowds to disperse before making our way home.

We were literally just standing up to leave when a request came over the tannoy for all cabin crews to return their headsets. My work here was done.

6 Comments:

At 3:13 pm, Blogger RJL said...

I can't believe how long ago it was that I went to the nightglow...pretty good stuff though!

 
At 11:51 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Haha, I'm glad they got the request in to return the headset. That was also the defining moment at the end of the night and never failed to amuse us. It was a bit like being told to move away from the groin, kind of.

I think I went to every balloon fiesta I could during my five or so years in Bristol and loved them all. The numbers dropped off over the years which was a shame, but I always had a laugh with Andy. I can't believe it was Em and Chris's first one! Maybe people were indeed put off because I insisted on getting there so early, but I had my reasons. You see, on the Thursday night GWR hold a "pop concert" there. I used to quite like looking at Girls Aloud or Rachel Stevens (and I had seen her in the pub with H, Ella and Mikey the day before - hence the reason she was in Bristol and hence the reason she was in the pub), albeit from 3 miles away on the other side of the park, at the spot on the side of the hill. One year H and I nearly got run over by Busted who were being driven in a blacked out 4WD down a road behind the main stage. They were being chased at the time by, what seemed like, all the primary school kids in Bristol. It was frightening.

But yeah, it was always a great couple of nights out a year, drinking cider and watching the balloons and the fireworks. I trod it dog shite one year which was disgusting. I think that was the year me, Andy and Chewie ended up sitting in some wicker chairs on the side of the hill.

 
At 9:54 am, Blogger Me said...

Never been either. Maybe next year. Sorry to be so brief.

 
At 9:11 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

WHAT? You haven't been either. I'm shocked. Surely everyone who has lived in Bristol at one point or another has been to the Fiesta. It's an institution.

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger Andy said...

It sure has become one for you and me at least Jonny, and a cracking summary of the last few years back there. I thought you'd appreciate the headset comments.

You didn't mention our debut though, with H's Canadian mate Kayliegh, who is the only person I have ever met who can outburp me, and still finish off her sentence.

By the way, I suppose if you put that girl in the pub and Rachel Stevens on the GWR stage together, then I reckon from where we were sat I wouldn't have been able to tell between them...

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Jonny said...

I'm glad you like the comments Andy, but I really do believe that the girl in the pub and the girl on the stage were indeed the same, ex-S Club beauty, Rachel Stevens.

Yeah, the Cayley Fiesta was class. I thought they were all great though and it was definitely an institution for the two of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home