Sunday, July 02, 2006

This weekend in pictures

I realise that this blog is slowly turning into a picture diary. I'm sure it won't be like that for long though, as my social life cannot sustain it indefinitely. After all, a picture account of my weekend in at home, playing online poker and watching the telly would probably not be very interesting.

Thankfully this weekend was slightly more entertaining, and although I have some pictures from Saturday afternoon, I fear that in order to avoid ranting I'm going to have to try to avoid discussing the 'f' word. And I don't mean 'fuck'.

But firstly, on Friday night, the Bedmo bachelor boys (i.e., Chew Al & myself) went into town to meet Kath & Ella.

Kath was HUGE! Apparently, she's still got another six weeks to go, and hasn't even packed a bag yet. Now I'm no expert, but I'd get that bag packed pretty soon...

It was a great night, only slightly marred by our 30 minute walk around the town centre at midnight, trying to find somewhere outdoors to sit and drink, before ending up back where we started.

Some things never change.
Ella was up to her usual tricks. Apparently, upon entering the toilet, she exclaimed: "Err it stinks of sewage in here!". The two girls at the washbasins declared their innocence, and continued chatting. Ella then entered the cubicle that had just been flushed by one of those girls and shrieked: "Errr, it really stinks in here!". I can only presume that she was greeted with silence. I also presume that it didn't smell in there at all.

Some more things never change.

So, Saturday afternoon. For no particular reason, we went to the Bristol Academy... It was a tense affair, but I'm starting to think I should have tried to take more natural photos, instead of asking people to give me worried looks...


For about 20 seconds following Portugal's second penalty miss, the place went mental and memories of Lampard's injury time equaliser two years ago came flooding back. Five minutes later, it looked like this...

England bow out on penalties again...Some things really never change.

We made the sensible decision to get off the streets, and listened to the sirens from the comfort of an Indian restaurant. I then made the mission to Victoria Park to see Bevan & Rosie on her birthday. It's very comforting to have a friend who has only just turned 23.

I woke up in the middle of the night violently scratching my back. It wasn't until the following morning that I discovered this...

Who needs mosquitoes?

Sunday was spent nursing a hangover, avoiding anything to do with football, and trying not to scratch my back. All of a sudden it was Monday, and for one night only we were dazzled by a flying visit from Mikey Dredz and Dan.

It was great to see Mikey again, who now has a slight aussie twinge to his Sheffield/Bristolian/French/Dutch hybrid of an accent. Dan also seems like a top bloke, and without wanting to sound corny, it does seem like they were made for each other. Mike's the bitch, apparently (no surprise there).

Obviously Mike still has dredz, he still smells, and he still has the propensity to be incredibly irritating, but then some things are never ever going to change...

17 Comments:

At 8:32 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

I was chatting to H last night and I realised Mike was due to be in Bristol on Monday. Glad to see you documented the event.

I like your picture diaries - it's good to see everyone, so I reckon you should keep having lots of good weekends and blog as often as you can. Surely there's some good weekends coming up, considering it's summer over there. Ashton Court? Balloon Fiesta? I hear that it's 30 degrees over ther and they issue a heatwave warning advising everyone to stay in doors. Madness.

Cath does look huge, and if she is reading this, I hope everything goes well for you, Neil and the baby. And as for Ella, well, bonkers!

The mossie bites look nasty mate. Are you able to leave them alone? Get some Witchhazel gel.

It looks like the group photo of you all is in your back garden Andy, although I notice the fences and the shed have been painted (although I'm sure that wasn't your own work, was it? Nice choice of black). Surely there has been some quality 'Pegs' action this year. Now that really is worthy of a blog.

By the way, what's happened to Sams tan?

 
At 7:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gone the same place as the hair I reckon :-)

That back looks bad...you sure they are mosquito bites? Are they supposed to be that big?

 
At 12:29 pm, Blogger Me said...

A picture account of you playing online poker might be more interesting than you'd think.

Glad to see Ella behaved herself so admirably. As soon as she got back here she was moving my crutches to the other side of the room etc.

Is Cath pregnant or something?

And I agree with Rich. They look like flea bites to me, mate.

 
At 5:09 pm, Blogger Andy said...

Jonny, the shed is next door, and the fence has always been that colour! As for the pegs game, you might have noticed the set-up on the left of the final photo. We had some quality games over the weekend (which was indeed scorching) and yes, I fully intend to write a blog about it at some point. It's developing into a superb game. Watch out for it at the London Olympics 2012...

Rich & Mike, I don't think they're mosquito bites, as we don't have mosquitos in the UK. Hence why I asked 'who needs them?' when I can still get bitten like that without them. I wondered if they were ant bites? Whatever they are I'm sure there's some sort of allergic reaction going on as I've never seen insect bites as big as that before, apart from the time I spent an evening on the Downs with Mike Ella and Chew a couple of years ago, when they also appeared in a big line across my back the following morning...

 
At 7:30 pm, Blogger Me said...

There are mozzies in the UK, aren't there? Just not malarial ones, I thought.

It's interesting you mention that Pegs might be an Olympic Sport in 2012. There's a film that's coming out in the UK in August which expresses the same sentiment...

I remember that night on the Downs we had a fox come and sniff around us. Was there a fox near you this time? Not sure how that would explain the bites, of course.

 
At 9:55 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Yep, I did notice the Pegs set-up. I'm looking forward to the blog. Will it be historical, documenting it's original roots through to it's present day status as one of the most exciting things to do in Bemmy on a hot Summers Day? I hope so.

Mike - I very much hope Australia gets a sneak preview of that movie before it's release in the UK. Is that possible?

I still can't remember your fence being black but then I can't see you lot having bothered to paint it in the first place. Surely you would get round to turfing the garden first? Now that would be a touch of class.

I reckon they are ant bites, given the fact you had similar lumps after rolling around on the Downs.

 
At 12:50 am, Blogger Andy said...

Mikey, there was a fox nearby actually, but no, I'm pretty sure they're not fox-bites.

Jonny, I'd love to turf the garden but the landlady won't let us, so it has to remain a giant cat litter. Cat shit is one of the many hazards of playing pegs you know? (Well, that and falling off your chair).

Kath, sadly enough I actually googled 'UK insect bites' earlier in an attempt to find the culprit, and yes we do indeed have mosquitoes. Well done for killing it anyway, always satisfying (unless it leaves a splash of blood on the palms of your hands).

 
At 9:01 am, Blogger Jonny said...

Thanks Cath.

 
At 9:03 am, Blogger Jonny said...

And I remember that hazard very well Andy. Bloody hell, I also remember the foul smell as well - you backyard, being the heat trap that it is, does wonders for cat shite.

 
At 10:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, is that a trace of a beard sequel in the last photo?

 
At 10:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that last comment was from me!

 
At 10:57 am, Blogger Andy said...

Nah, just a shadow (and a bit of stubble maybe). There will be no sequel (at least not until the winter!)

 
At 11:44 am, Blogger Me said...

There was a fox again? Now that is a coinicidence. Maybe you're allergic to foxes in near proximity or it had fleas that jumped onto you or something. Are you going to the doctor to find out? I think we all want to know after all this speculation.

Why on earth would a landlady stop you from turfing that garden? Have you asked her for a reason? If I was a landlady (unlikely) and my tennants said "Can I improve your garden please?" I'd definitely say yes. It makes no sense to me. It sure is a cat trap at the moment.

 
At 3:04 pm, Blogger Andy said...

I think the landlady was concerned about the extra maintenance a garden might involve. She probably doesn't realise that when we moved in the cat litter was completely filled with two-foot weeds, which remain a constant battle.

I didn't bother going to the Docs as I went the first time it happened and she just told me to take antihistamine, after being amazed by the size of them and prodding them for a minute or two. She had no idea what might have caused it.

So, fox fleas seem a likely possibility, although I did read that there's a species of red ant rife in the south-west of England with a nasty bite on it. The plot thickens..

And yes H, we regularly cry into our beers, honest...

 
At 3:10 am, Blogger Jonny said...

The reason I didn't pick up the pegs often was because that was the losers job, and I often won. In fact, I think when I left England I was the 'Unofficial World Champion of Pegs in Bedmo".

Isn't that right Andy?

 
At 1:17 pm, Blogger Andy said...

Um, can't say I remember that Jonny.

 
At 7:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home