Monday, June 26, 2006

Massive Attack & Croyde (Sam turns 30)

It's a picture frenzy again...

Friday night. Massive attack in Hyde Park. Incredible...

You know how sometimes, when you listen to an amazing piece of music, you get a rush of adrenalin that shoots through each of your arms and down through your legs, and leaves a strange tingling sensation on the back of your head? A kind of musical orgasm.

I've never been to a gig where that has happened to me so many times. Not least when Horace Andy graced the stage to sing 'the hymn of the big wheel'.

Of course, they played 'unfinished sympathy' for their encore, and the place went nuts. I was too busy going nuts at the time to take any photos of everyone else going nuts, but here's one from earlier in the set, when they weren't quite as nutty.

The last train from Paddington got me home at 2am, so I decided to make a late-morning run to Croyde on the Saturday, however this turned into an early afternoon run after picking up Benny and making a vital supermarket mission. Road works then turned a two-hour journey into three and a half hours, so Ben & I arrived at the beach just as the majority of the group had made their way back to the campsite. I asked Ben to pose for this photo...

Mark, Wendy, Dave & Anna were still there so we managed to catch some late afternoon rays with them and destroy the Pyramids & Sphinx with Mark's football. Great fun (although sorry again to Ali for taking your Sphinx's head clean off, just in case you're reading).

The campsite was lovely...


Sam didn't have long to achieve anything from his list of things to do before you're 30. I'm not sure whether getting badly sunburned was one of them...


Or indeed, learning how to play cricket...

Mind you I'm not sure he achieved that one anyway...

All very civilised really. Cricket in a campsite. Great fun though, especially as everyone joined in. Admittedly, we thought we might be there for the long haul when the girls took centre stage...

Ended controversially by Sam in a run-out. This one went to the third umpire...

Decision: Out. Bat clearly not grounded. Although were the bails dislodged?

After the game, Anna made the mission for fish'n'chips and everyone stuck their thermals on as the temperature seemed to drop from 25c to 5c in a matter of minutes. With the darkness came the inevitable drunken shenanigans, culminating in Benny eating a chocolate caramel digestive, a piece of cheese, and some French saucisson in one mouthful. I think I managed to capture the exact moment when he realised what a mistake he'd just made.

As the clock turned midnight, Sam said goodbye to his youth with the symbolic extinguishment of 30 candles.

Sam passed around pieces of the pinkest cake we could find, and opened his cards. This one, from Moe, reads "Happy Birthday Gappy!"

I'd like to say that everyone enjoyed their piece of pink cake...

But I'm really not sure that was the case...

Thankfully the birthday boy came up trumps with the Champers, which accompanies pink cake so nicely.

Especially when drunk from a beaker or mug, or in my case, the bottle.

Anyway, congratulations to Sam. Or should I say commiserations?

20 Comments:

At 2:41 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Excellent work Andy. Great to see so many pictures.

H and I were there in spirit. It's a shame we missed it. Those camping trips are such great fun, although I thought you had done away with canvas in favour of plastic walls after Chav Bay.

Happy 30th Sam. Congratulations. How do you feel?

 
At 2:45 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

One more thing...were you really that close to the stage, or was it clever use of the zoom?

If you were really that close, good skills! After all how many thousands and thousands of people were there?

 
At 10:35 pm, Blogger Andy said...

My guess is anywhere between 20 and 60 thousand. I find it hard to judge. The main stage area wasn't that much bigger than Queens Square. How many were there?

We did well as we arrived around the side just as the flaming lips had finished their set, and bizareley lots of people were leaving. So we ended up about 15 metres from the front. I've been invited to see them in Westonburt next month, and after ruling it out initially I'm now thinking i might have to be done.

 
At 4:02 am, Blogger Me said...

Happy birthday to Sam. Blimey, I remember when he was a teenager. Time, eh?

 
At 6:53 am, Blogger Jonny said...

I think there were about 20k in Queens Square.

Isn't Westonburt quite close to Brissol? It could be too good a gig to miss (like us and Coldplay in Sydney - last night tonight and of course it sold out in seconds, way back in October).

 
At 2:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see the flaming lips. Go see them.

Happy birthday to Sam :)

 
At 5:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Happy B'Day Samuel...hope the back is pealing nicely now.

 
At 12:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone!

Rich - my back isn't peeling yet, but the new space on my forehead where my hair used to be is. (I think Andy calls them widows peaks...)

 
At 2:07 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Welcome to my world Sam.

 
At 6:08 pm, Blogger Andy said...

No, widows peaks are natural dents in the hairline, that are there from a young age. What you boys have is a receding hairline...

 
At 8:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arthur 2 - coming to a beach near you soon.

 
At 11:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Dick Leg said...
Arthur 2 - coming to a beach near you soon."

lol, is it payback time Rich?...

 
At 12:15 am, Blogger Jonny said...

Thanks Andy.

Yeah, what's the deal with this Arthur 2 stuff?

 
At 7:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Arthur not Em and Sam's dad's name? From my recollection, he has a head not too dissimalar to mine and so wondered if Sam was following in his father's footsteps.

 
At 7:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is called Arthur and yes his head is as shiney as yours. Almost.

 
At 4:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet he doesn't have the aerodynamic bit out the back though?!

 
At 12:37 am, Blogger Jonny said...

Aaaaah, I get it.

Aerodynamic bit eh! Sounds a bit odd to me.

 
At 7:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog Andy,

Camping looked really good too... youll be plleased to know its absolutely pissing it down here - god i wish i was in England!!

Happy 30th Sam - i didnt realise you were THAT old !!!!

 
At 3:46 pm, Blogger Andy said...

It's been +30c here for the last couple of days - scorching! With the odd thunderstorm thrown in for good measure, of course...

 
At 6:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home