Thursday, October 19, 2006

Anyone for an Ice Cream?

I've just had one of those strange experiences that could probably only happen in Bedminster, or maybe Royston Vasey.

I had returned home from work via a quick stop at Lidl, and just as I had dumped the first couple of shopping bags in the house, I heard the distinctive song of an ice-cream van coming from outside. Over the last couple of weeks this has become a familiar sound on the streets of Bedminster, so perhaps it shouldn't be considered unusual other than the fact that it was absolutely pissing it down with rain.

For some reason I considered it to be so odd for an ice-cream van to be out in a thunderstorm that I decided to get my phone out and film it as it passed my house. As I followed the van down the road I suddenly noticed that the neighbour's youngest of three kids was standing outside her house and looking right at me. For some reason I panicked, as if I had been caught doing something naughty, and instantly moved my camera away. You can almost get the sense of me hanging my head in shame...



My first instinct was to shut the door of my house and hide away until the coast was clear, but then I realised that I had left the boot of my car open and my groceries would be starting to get pretty wet, so I carried on as if nothing had happened and returned to my car. This involved walking between the now stationary ice-cream van and the neighbour's barking dog, prompting the girl to shout "Shu' -uup!" at the dog as she was buying her ice-cream.

I gathered my remaining groceries and shut my boot, and just as I turned round I noticed that the local nutter was wondering down the road towards us in a lovely floral summer-dress. I can say that she is the local nutter with some confidence, as I recognise her from my days at barrow hospital.

"Are you buying an ice-cream in this weather?" She enquired.

"You're buying an ice-cream! In this weather?"

The neighbours kid, understandably, ignored her. The local nutter looked in my direction.

"She's buying an ice-cream in this weather!"

"Yes, and you're wondering down the road wearing a summer dress in the pissing rain, just to comment on it." I thought.

The dog barked.

I returned to the relative sanity of my house and emptied the shopping bags, just praying that the kid next door told her parents about the nutty woman from up the road, and forgot to mention the fact that the bloke next-door was filming her on his mobile phone.

8 Comments:

At 11:30 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Yeah - for some reason the vid doesnt want to load.

I am looking forward to seeing it though, but I am beginning to wonder that you must be running out of blogging material as you head into the depths of autumn if you film an ice-cream van, a young girl and a batty old woman - but having written that, it actually sounds like decent material (well maybe not the young girl.....).

So good work, and I'll keep on trying to the load the vid. Alternatively I could do a key word search on You Tube. What should I use? Ice Cream Van Youn Girl Mentalist?

 
At 10:33 am, Blogger Andy said...

Well, I didn't exactly start filming it with the intention of blogging it, but as events unfolded I thought it was worthy of a post.

Alright, you got me - I'm running out of blogging material!

The video should work now, by the way (and not surprisingly, I didn't share it with the rest of the world on You Tube)

 
At 7:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is worrying.

 
At 9:41 am, Blogger Naomi said...

I dont get it! (the vid that is) or have you edited it not to include the girl? if you cant acidently film a girl watching an icecream van out in public streets then what has the world come to (or am I just un-pc?). I like the fact you get to hear the ice cream van tune! Suprised they havent updated them with some recent pop tune like with mobile phone ring tones.

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger Jonny said...

I've seen the video and I am also worried.

 
At 3:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant Blog man,

Wierd incidents like that are surely the reason Blogging was invented in the first place ???

More randomness please !!!

 
At 11:05 am, Blogger Me said...

Well, I saw the girl and I understand what he means. He means that when you're pointing a video camera at people without them knowing you're doing it, and they suddenly look at you, you suddenly turn away because filming people without their permission is viewed as 'unethical' by certain facists (most people).

I understand, Andy.

Did you fancy your neighbour too?

 
At 11:08 am, Blogger Me said...

PS

As well as sounding like something from The League of Gentlemen as you pointed out, this also reads a bit like a cross between a Magnus Mills novel and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. In other words, good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home