Thursday, June 22, 2006

Beverley's finest moment

Not surprisingly, my recently deceased car Beverley's finest moment did not occur on the road. No, it was in fact in the middle of a field in South Wales, when we decided to go camping on the coldest, wettest, windiest August Bank Holiday weekend in recent years.

It all started innocently enough, when a few of us took shelter from the elements. Notice our celebrity friend David Gray in the back, who seems to be working on a new tune in his head...

For a while, everything was nice and cosy...


Until that is, the beast of the Gower reared his ugly head...

With that slightly twisted, hyperactive drunken tomfoolery that only evil cider can bring...

We could only fight him off for so long. There clearly wasn't any room left in the car, but that didn't seem to matter...

Suddenly it turned into a contest to see how many people Beverly could hold before the suspension caved in...

Including Kim's hand, I can count seven in this photo, and I'm sure there are a couple more behind Jonny as well. Note that the foot belongs to Mike, who's nose also features...

Ironically, Beverly got through that ordeal unscathed only for me to drive over a pothole on the way back home and damage both the off-side wheels. Thankfully only the front tyre punctured so she made it home without the need for a tow, but that was the start of her demise. A couple of weeks later someone left a huge crater in her door while she was parked outside of my ward, but although she had a good few years left in her she only survived another one and a half. The rest is history, as they say.

Thanks to Jonny for those photos, but while I'm on a nostalgic trip here are a few of my favourites from the same weekend...





5 Comments:

At 7:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That top photo is classic...Chris looks like the Hunchback of Notredame and somehow I can just tell that he has been whinging his head off wondering why the hell he is camping when hotels have been invented.

 
At 1:51 pm, Blogger Jonny said...

Yes Andy.

This is brilliant. Aaah, happy days mate. Those camping trips were the best. Bloody hell we had such a laugh didn't we?

I want more nostalgic blogs. We have a lot of footage..just think of all those Ashton Court festivals and other camping trips...and the static 'Chavscum' caravan.

Again, happy days.

I miss singing Babylon along with David. I think he secretly loved the attention ;-)

I wonder what happened to Sam's tan and youthful looks?

 
At 2:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pure class!
Jonny - get on Bruce's case, he's got some top quality David Gray footage from croyde, filmed especially for you. You'll love it.

 
At 3:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic. Dicky you are probably so close to the truth but not quite. I love the wilderness so much I have just bought a new tent.

Of course I loved the attention Jonny, I melted every time you fell asleep on my arm ;-)

 
At 10:24 am, Blogger Jonny said...

That's good to hear mate, I felt the same way too. You are very confortable.

Em - I'm on it right away. Thanks for the tip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home