Monday, May 29, 2006

Breakout returns

I can hear what you're saying. Who the hell is potential badboy? He's not really a badboy. In fact, his real name is Chris McFarlane and he doesn't even drink, apparently. Still he looks the part, and more importantly he's been releasing drum'n'bass since 1993 (including a remix of that classic 'original nuttah' in 1994). I have to confess though, that despite being a big drum'n'bass fan for the past six or seven years I had never actually heard of him until about 6 months ago, when his tune 'Girlz' got played lots on Radio one.

"We love the thin girlz, we love them fat girlz, we love short girlz, we love the tall girlz..."

Classic.

Breakout will also see the debut of 'left hand skratch', which is basically Bevan and I cramming as many tunes into a mix as possible by using two mp3 channels, and two decks, while trying to scratch (neither of us can scratch right-handed, hence the name). We've been practicing and developing this act for a good couple of years, and it may just be that we've finally reached a standard to put on a good show. On the other hand it could easily be a disaster, especially if we get too hammered watching the England Trinidad game.

We've also been trying out MC's, which has been interesting, although I'm not sure whether Ali and Chew would agree with that. Personally, I found it hilarious to have some dude shouting his head off behind me while I was trying to mix.

Anyway, we have agreed to take this night on monthly, perhaps foolishly, as midweek drum'n'bass at the Fez during the summer months would probably not be everyone's first choice for a night out. After all, the Fez is the ultimate winter venue (basically a dungeon). However, the guys at the Fez have offered us quite a good deal, and they've convinced us that if we can survive the summer, then we'll make a killing in September when the students arrive. I'd just be happy to break even, as it will be my credit card that will have to sustain any losses.

So, please come along! Only four nuggets with one of these...


Best excuse for non-attendance wins guest list.

8 Comments:

At 12:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy you spelt "scratch" wrong on your flyer. And I've never heard of MC TBC. Is he good?

 
At 10:54 pm, Blogger Me said...

Well spotted, Sam. On that note, shouldn't "breakout" have a capital "B"?

 
At 11:00 pm, Blogger Me said...

Best excuse for non-attendance: I'm in Singapore. Do I win the guest list?

Can I also audition to be the MC, please? I've always fancied giving it a go. Imagine me saying this into a mic very quickly:

"Bass in your face in your bass in your face" (repeat x4)
"Rhythm is right, rhythm is wrong" (repeat x4)
"Mystique with the bump and flex"

I'm sure you could rinse it right down to that.

Hope it all goes well.

What deal have the Fez offered you?

 
At 6:53 am, Blogger Jonny said...

Breakout...what a great name for a night. I wonder who came up with that idea?

And as for the best reason not to come, I am in Sydney which is a lot further away than Singapore, so nice try Mike. Andy - does guest list include a Qantas flight there? If it does, then count me in.

Good luck with it all though..I can't wait for the blog.

 
At 6:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant attend either due to being a foriegner in a distant land (well its across sea) and the probabilty of not getting a babysitter either. Thats two things.

 
At 12:31 am, Blogger Andy said...

Well, you've all made a good case for guestlist, and since you can't come (and we don't have a guestlist anyway), you all win.

Congratulations.

As for the pedantic old men Sam and Mike, get a life.

Oh and Mike, definitely up for you MCing at our August event - that sounds great, and so original.

 
At 9:18 am, Blogger Me said...

What's my fee?

 
At 8:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant go near a Fez club, my lifelong nickname was/is Fez. If two Fezzes of any description meet, a Worm Hole opens. This would spell disaster for innocents near either Fez.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home